Re: Hybridizing

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Hybridizing
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:39:23 -0700

Another approach is to artificially double the chromosome load of a diploid.
This can be done by applying certain chemicals (colchicine is one) to seeds
or to growing tip tissues (meristems) of the diploid variety.  I believe
this has been done with P. x hortorum to bring certain characters into the
tetraploid range (the "dark dwarf" condition is one).

I experimented with this some years ago, without much success, although I
had some fun in the process.  It seems that the dose of chemical necessary
to cause doubling of chromosomes is very close to a lethal dose.  (No
surprise -- it's really messing with the biochemical framework of the plant
itself.)  Another limitation is that, unless the parent plant of the seeds
you are treating is from a very inbred line -- that is, with most of its
characters in the homozygous state -- the seeds may not carry the very
characters you are hoping to transmit.  For example, I believe the "dark
dwarf" allele is dominant and that very many, if not most dark dwarfs in the
trade are heterozygous for full-size (non-dwarf) growth habit.

The chemicals are hazardous materials and must be handled with appropriate
care.

Barry

On Monday, October 22, 2001 11:03 PM, Cynthia S. Lohry
[mailto:Hedgehug@AOL.COM] wrote:

>While hybridizing interests me, I have not done much with it.  From
>asking questions of others, my understanding is that in a labratory,
>under very controlled circumstances, you can cross a tetraploid with a
>diploid.  But, that once you have that offspring, it is sterile, and
>you cannot cross it with anything else to carry on the line.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster@brobeck.com
BROBECK PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP
http://www.brobeck.com