Diploid and Tetraploid

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Diploid and Tetraploid
  • From: Sandy Connerley <sandym@NORTHCOAST.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:41:26 -0700

Barry,
I have found an abstract which references crossing diploid and
tetraploid and it uses these symbols which I do not understand.
Hopefully, you will take the time to explain them.

diploid (2n=22) X tetraploid (2n=44) crosses

I know the diploid has two strands of chromosomes, so is that what the
22 means?
Why do both the diploid and tetraploid have the 2n?  What does 2n mean?
This is probably pretty basic, and I do have a book on order, but it
won't come until next week!
Sandy