Re: Diploid and Tetraploid

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Diploid and Tetraploid
  • From: "Roth, Barry" <BRoth@BROBECK.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:38:14 -0700

Sandy,

In genetics, "2n" is referred to as the "diploid number" of an organism.
"2n=22" means that the nucleus of a normal cell of the species in question
has 22 chromosomes.  As you know, chromosomes come in pairs, so one could
also say that the species has eleven pairs of chromosomes.

The tetraploid in your example has 44 chromosomes.  (I am surprised that it
says "2n=44" because I think the normal formula for referring to a
tetraploid is "4n=...")

Hope this helps.

>Barry,
>I have found an abstract which references crossing diploid and
>tetraploid and it uses these symbols which I do not understand.
>Hopefully, you will take the time to explain them.
>
>diploid (2n=22) X tetraploid (2n=44) crosses
>
>I know the diploid has two strands of chromosomes, so is that what the
>22 means?
>Why do both the diploid and tetraploid have the 2n?  What does 2n mean?
>This is probably pretty basic, and I do have a book on order, but it
>won't come until next week!
>Sandy

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to postmaster@brobeck.com
BROBECK PHLEGER & HARRISON LLP
http://www.brobeck.com