Plant name question

  • Subject: Plant name question
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:40:25 -0400

Hi Everyone :)  A while ago I had asked about plant registration and who is
currently keeping the records, and received the reply that Australia had
been doing it, and perhaps it was switching to Britain, more info to come.
(and thanks again for that). Now comes my naive question - are past varietal
registration records available to the general public?  In other words, if I
am researching a variety, is there a way to request records by mail?  As I
said, it's probably a naive question, but with the African violet Society
they have paper bound  complete registration records for sale (called the
Master Variety List) as well as their software program First Class (same
info, different format), and the Orchid Society has a book (Sanders, I
believe it's called) that was printed and now they publish regular updates,
I believe yearly. And perhaps depending on the answer to that question, is
it set up that a hybridizer names the plant, releases it that way when
ready, and it may or may not end up as "registered"?  I am obviously
befuddled about the processes and will appreciate any clarity offered.

Thanks.

Laurie

Laurie A.E. O'Meara
Artist and Horticulturist