[IGSrobin] Club or No Club

  • Subject: [IGSrobin] Club or No Club
  • From: "Maria C. Boza" mcboza@earthlink.net
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:54:38 -0800

Hello, Fellow Members,

The discussion between Julio and Bill has been interesting. I concur with Bill that it's important to keep the connection going even if there is no formal club. My husband and I will soon be moving away from Sacramento, where there are two clubs, to the beautiful Monterey Peninsula, where there is none. (Hello, Bill, we won't be far away.) I plan to keep in touch with the good friends I've made in Sacramento. E-mail helps.

I wanted to point out a particular circumstance in which belonging to a formal club can be a hindrance. The Sacramento Geranium Club meets at a garden and arts center that requires a great deal from the clubs that meet at its facilities. The club has to pay a large sum for annual "rent," a per-meeting fee, penalty fees if anyone dares arrive early or linger longer, and locker fees. The club must also participate in the center's spring and a fall event for which the club **must** rent tables, whether the members want to be part of the event or not. It's a terrible burden on everybody. The club sales are nerve-wracking because making a profit with a big margin is absolutely necessary. By contrast the Carmichael Geranium Society, an IGS associate club, only pays $25 in annual rent and is much freer from worries. The clubhouse is not as large as that of the Sacramento club, but membership can be more purely fun.

I guess I'm arguing that meeting informally may turn out to be rather pleasant. Julio, maybe you could continue doing that with club members who may not want to be officers but still want to see one another.

Maria B.