Re: [IGS] Introduction

Erodium Species listed as occuring in San Diego County include:

Erodium botrys (abundant)
E. brachycarpum (occasional)
E. cicutarium (abundant)
E. cygnorum (local)
E. macrophyllum var. macrophyllum (rare)
E. moschatum (prevalent)
E. texanum (mostly in the desert about 80 miles east of here).

E. malacoides is listed as occuring in California's Central Valley
(about 250 miles north of San Diego).

I find that the most common species are E. botrys and E. moschatum along
the coast. E. cicutarium also occurs along the coast but seems to be
more frequent inland.  E. cicutarium is widespread in the U.S.

E. botrys and E. cicutarium are very common in the understory of native
habitat types and in disturbed areas.  E. moschatum is common in
disturbed areas and in non-native grassland habitat.  Our non-native
grasslands are dominated by exotic grasses mostly of European origin.
The problem with Erodium in Southern California is that the common
introduced species tend to reduce available habitat for native annuals.
We are working on reserves to conserve a threatened habitat type refered
to as coastal sage scrub (CSS).  This habitat is dominated by Artemisia
californica, Eriogonum fasciculatum, Salvia mellifera and a few other
plants but is rich in less than dominant species many of which are
becoming rare .  Development has removed most of the CSS in Southern
California and few areas remain that are not affected by exotics.

I think I'll do some hunting for each of the other species this spring.
E. macrophyllum and E. texanum are the only species considered to native
to California.

So how do the Erodium species in your area grow?  Do they prefer
disturbed habitats?

Phil Bunch
San Diego Area