R: [IGS] Tuberous Species

Hello Rein,

Thanks for bringing out the subject about summer dormant Geraniums.
G. tuberosum was among my first plants of Geraniums. It had, in my opinion,
all the requirements to be a success here, as it comes from the
Mediterranean area and it is also described as a wild species of Italian
flora, though very rare by now. It is said to be invasive in cultivation, so
I hoped to see my little front garden invaded by those lovely flowers in
early spring. Not so.To tell the truth I am growing not more than a couple
of plants in pots by now, while those in the garden are reducing every year
and do not flower at all, much to my regret, of course. The surviving plants
are in fairly large terracotta pots, which I filled with well
drained soil. The past summer was very dry here, but many tubers rotted,
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Is it nicely 'invasive' in your garden?

G. libani seems to be more suited to my conditions. It has thick rhizomes,
good glossy foliage, and nice violet-blue flowers with slightly wrinkled
petals, which I saw last spring  for the first time.

All the best,
The Geraniaceae Group page is at