Re: Unknown plant

Hi All,
    Just want to say that an, "unknown plant," can also be its own hybrid
from the mother plant too. Mutations are always occurring off sections of the
mother plant.
    If I don't tag this genetic change when I see this, I can very likely
make a cutting from the plant in question and then have an unknown plant with
different sizes of leaves, or color of blooms, or blooms that have different
sizes yet these characteristics are similar to it's mother but with a change.

To keep track and prevent an unknown plant label:
    When growing from seed I will call it,... P. Name of it's mother, then X
seedling. If the seed batch holds true to the mother then I will give it,
it's true species name or variety name. If variations do result and happen
from the seed batch, I will have the name of it's true mother and the word
hybrid after the name. Always following with a code number that distinguishes
this hybrid crop from the next years crop and so on.
I do indeed dread an "unknown" in the plant world! This is as good as it gets!
All you southern Californian's!!!!
How are all your plants holding up with these Santa Anna winds? Heard we will
be having 110 degrees heat by the end of the week!

Happy Propagating!
Cynthia Pardoe