The Pelargonium Breeder

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] The Pelargonium Breeder
  • From: Sandy Connerley sandyc@SURFARI.NET
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:30:49 -0700

Hello,

    Does anyone know about The Pelargonium Breeder?

    Quoting from Geraniums Around the World, Volume XX, July, 1972,
Number 2, page 15,:

"International Association of Pelargonium Breeders"

"An infant venture has been born! One we hope will be an informational
body which, it is hoped, will be of immense value to breeders all over
the world.  It should also be of interest to fanciers who will be able
to read in these pages about the new varieties as soon as they are
introduced.

"Mr. Hamilton Tyler has consented to be the Director.  It is thought
that the guiding hand should not be that of a breeder.  Mr. Tyler is a
Pelargonium Historian, and writer on many other subjects as well, with
several books to his credit.  We are most fortunate that he will be the
Director and Recorder for the new Association.

"At intervals to be decided upon, newsletters will be sent to all
members containing the information that has been received, such as
experiences, chromosome counts, new varieties, individual goals, etc.

"One very important purpose will be to keep a record of all of the
varieties originated by all of the members:  names, dates, type or
class, and a brief description.  There would be no red tape and no
evaluation by teh Association.  A breeder about to introduce a new
variety would record it.  Should the name be a duplication of one
already used, the Recorder would immediately inform him of the fact.
What a simple way to solve some of teh problesm of name duplication, at
least within the membership.

"All pelargonium breeders, professionals and beginners alike, who are
interested in joining the Association or learning more about it are
invited to write to:  Mr. Hamilton Tyler, 8450 West Dry Creek Rd.,
Healdsburg, Calif. 95448, USA"

I wonder if anyone knows what month this started, and how long or how
many issues there were?  Does anyone have copies?  I would pay for
copies if anyone has them.

Reading these back issues is a real education.

Sandy