Re: The Pelargonium Breeder

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] The Pelargonium Breeder
  • From: "Roth, Barry" BRoth@BROBECK.COM
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:55:41 -0700

Thanks for triggering an interesting memory!  I remember when this article
came out and how excited I was.  This was just on the rising trend of my
fascination with zonal breeding.  I quickly wrote Mr. Tyler and asked to be
included in the newborn association.

I don't remember whether I received a newsletter or not; if I did, there
could not have been more than one or two issues.  I think it was a good idea
that withered from a lack of support and participation.*

Ham Tyler was not himself a pelargonium breeder, but rather a collector.  He
was also the author of a very nice book on organic gardening and one called
"Gourmet Gardening."  I visited him at his lovely place in Healdsburg --
found him spading good semi-rotted straw into an already rich- and
fluffy-looking tract of ground.  "That ought to be organic enough," he said,
stripping off his gloves to come over and shake my hand.  We talked for much
of the afternoon.  He generously showed me interesting books on pelargoniums
from his library.  I think his zonal collection was not exactly at its
height, although he said that at one time or another he had grown all the
Holmes Miller varieties of zonals.

My impression was that he had a real love of gardening information (as the
article said, a Pelargonium Historian) and hence would have loved collecting
and disseminating all the information that breeders might have shared with
him.  Too bad the project was not more successful!

*If I'm wrong, and more issues exist -- and even if someone can make
available copies of those possible first 1-2 issues -- I would be very
interested to get a look.