Re: The Pelargonium Breeder

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] The Pelargonium Breeder
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:30:36 -0600

>Too bad we don't have many people w/information on breeding pelargoniums that
>are willing to share that information now. I understand people have other
>priorities , or may not have time, but any information on individuals
>breeding programs would help us immensely - not to mention its historic

I have no potential problem with sharing anything I come up with.  I have
several windowsills and a light table covered with young plants and
seedlings hybridized by moi, and am waiting for flowers to see what if
anything is worth saving.  (Actually I have already a dwarf I got by
crossing Dame Anna Neagle X Purple Heart and it's quite nice in shape and
leaf quality but I'm not satisfied with the color of blooms.  However I'm
using it for further crosses as my original Purple Heart has finally given
up the ghost.)  I might say that combining Urchin - a miniature Formosum -
with Stellars is giving interesting results.

> Barry, if the bug
>bites you to resurrect the IAPB,  count me in as a member - I can't get
>enough of this hybridizing business.

Me too!  Yes, playing God (or at least a bee) with plants becomes
obsessive.  I'm still eyeballing my P. aridum X P. trifidum seedling and
for the life of me cannot decide if it's a hybrid or merely a selfer.