Blue Sky Idea

  • Subject: [IGSROBIN] Blue Sky Idea
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:36:48 EDT

A company I worked for, many years ago, used to hold an annual meeting to
discuss other revenue sources, or ways to provide a better product or better
service. This event was called a "Blue Sky Meeting". The only rule was--
there were no rules! Anything was open for discussion, even what may have
been considered rediculous by many. Of course, you had to be willing to stick
your neck out sometimes. The important thing was "the big picture".

With that in mind, and for what it's worth, here are  my "Blue Sky Ideas" for
the IGS:

1. Online GATW. I get my issue of GATW at least 1-2 weeks after members on
the West Coast. But that isn't really the issue. You could save man hours and
postage by giving people the option of a hard copy or not. I'm interested in
the information. If I saw an article I wanted to refer to, I could print it
out on my computer.

2. Online GATW back issues. I doubt that IGS makes much annually on the sale
of back issues. In "The Information Age" every IGS member should have full
access to back issues. Fine, charge me $5.00 more annually. Actually, without
having to pay for my postage (see #1), IGS would make about  $9.00 /year more
(just from me).  I've heard that some back issue copies, sold currently,  are
missing a line or two of print.  Every page would have to be high quality.
While you're at it, I could use an index or a way or searching for articles
by keyword, author, etc. (Hey, it's my dream!)

3. Online access to worldwide publications ( bulletins, newsletters,etc.) put
out by any other geranium/pelargonium  society, group or club - including The
Geraniaceae Group Newsletter.
There could probably be a reciprocal exchange - their membership gets access
to GATW online. I would love to join The Geraniaceae Group, but I don't want
to pay the bank that handles money transfers more than I pay for my

4. Access to other items (books, etc.) available from The Geraniaceae Group
thru the IGS. You place your order with IGS, pay your money, plus a prorated
handling and bank fee, and the IGS accumulates the orders 'til a certain
point , then transfers the orders/money to TGG.

5. IGS should become a repository for any geranium information that isn't
copyrighted ( like the recently discussed The Pelargonium Breeder) or that
the authors and/or publishers gives them permission to post. Included in this
information, if permission can be obtained, should be the Proceedings of the
Third International Geranium Conference (1992) - great articles!!

Hopefully others will throw their ideas into the pot. Everyone can contribute
constructive ideas that are meant to help bring the IGS into the 21st
century. Use your imagination - dream on! Without new ideas, we can't move

Ed Olson-Moore