Re: Blue Sky Idea

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Blue Sky Idea
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:58:42 EDT

Cynthia, Bill and Maria-

Thank you all for responding.
I have no doubt that running the IGS takes the dedication of many, many
volunteers - I grew up in that atmosphere. I have fond memories of helping my
parents prepare for shows months in advance, and helping at the sale table,
among other things.

What really disappoints me is the deafening silence of other IGS members. I
guess that everyone else is happy with where the IGS is, and content to see
it continue in this vein. The purpose of my "Blue Sky" posting was to start a
dialog - to get a reaction from both the general membership and the board.
This was not an attack on the board about the situation of the club, but a
call to everyone to "put in your two cents" about where you would like to see
the club in the future (2-5 years for example). Am I really off base in
thinking the society needs to dream about what could be?! Is everyone afraid
to answer, or does nobody care?

 I don't profess to know anything about how the IGS runs. I was not aware
that membership dues are almost depleted by publication of Geraniums Around
The World. I don't want to see the quality of GATW affected. However, as
funding is already so tight, there doesn't seem to be any way out of this
situatio, if the club continues along the same path. If there are plans to
make the IGS more solvent, I haven't heard them. I think the general
membership should have input, and the Robin is a perfect vehicle for that
input. You never know, someone might come up with an idea that could help.

Cynthia, a geranium conference in the US is a great idea! Sorry I didn't
think about that on my initial "Blue Sky" list.  You ask:" what can we come
up with to increase membership so that IGS has more funds available with
which to implement some of these changes we are dreaming about?" Great
question! But before we can determine funding sources , we have to know where
we are heading, and how much will be needed - we have to develop a plan.
That's why I think "Blue Sky" is a good idea.

I'll sit down this evening ( I'm already very late for work) and try to come
up with ways to procure funding. I think the key is to remember that the IGS
is a non-profit organization. If I read that right, donations to a planning
fund (for future growth) would be tax deductible in the US. I believe that
status also could be used to apply for grants and to ask people to include
IGS in their will, etc. I know everyone has finance issues today, but I don't
think that asking for a donation specifically set aside for future ideas will
break anyone's bank. Follow the lead of other successful non-profit
organizations, including religious institutions. If you don't ask, you don't
get! I'm currently putting two children thru college, but I have no problem
pledging $100 per year (on top of my membership) for 5 years to see some of
these plans go into effect. That is less than $10.00 per month - I'll cut
down on junk food. We have to think ahead, or go back to sleep!