Re: Blue Sky Idea

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Blue Sky Idea
  • From: maria guzman mirror@3RIVERS.NET
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:58:08 -0600

Considering that $$ or lack of them can make or break an enterprise, it may
be very necessary to increase IGS's yearly dues.  However I've come up with
another - not necessarily related - idea.

Why do we have or need two entirely independent Geranium societies with
separate journals, both English-language, in an international world (or
'club') of growers, breeders, botanists, geneticists, etc.?   This is the
cyber age and there's no reason not to share information with one another
in the same way that researchers and scientists all read their respective
specialized publications (Nature, JAMA, etc. etc.).  I know for instance
that hybridizers in Australia are doing extraordinary things with
Pelargoniums but I'm in no position to travel there and meet them.
Whatever results I may achieve on my own (and in isolation) will likely be
lost forever *sniff* when I die.   Some people enjoy hunting down obscure
papers and publications.  That's great if you live near a large
horticultural library or university botany dep't.  I live in the middle of
alfalfa fields, 53 miles from Great Falls, MT., which is an intellectual
and cultural desert.  My sole contact with the Outside World is this
Macintosh.

So:  I propose that the idea of some sort of liaison, affiliation,
reciprocal sharing of  news and information, be presented to the board of
Geraniaceae Group, whereby GATW can reprint worthwhile articles from the
former's publication, and vice-versa if so desired.  This is just a sudden
thought but it seems to me one whose time has come.  Unless the IGS prefers
to remain principally oriented toward hobbyists (not a put-down! - I'm one
myself) and flower-show aficionados, I believe it can broaden its
subscription base by outreaching to an international readership.

Maybe some of you will join in this fray - if only with objections!

Maria