Re: Blue Sky Idea

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Blue Sky Idea
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:55:52 EDT

Cynthia and...
It's now almost midnight and I'm just getting back to my computer for another
addition to"Blue Sky Idea" . Sorry, family matters come first.

I know I said I would try to come up w/ funding ideas, but since I'm close to
crashing for the evening, I'll just continue the line of thought I had this
morning, and look for enlightenment another day. Who knows, maybe others can
figure it out.

I don't know if all non-profit organizations are the same. Can people in the
US get a tax deduction for contributing to ANY non-profit group? It doesn't
matter to me because I would still contribute without a tax break, but it may
be the deciding factor for some people. Does anyone have experience
w/non-profit groups?

I like the idea of using the Robin for this discussion because responses come
in a matter of minutes, or hours, as opposed to months. However, if this is
ever going to get past the point of a few people going back and forth, at
some point the general membership should have an input as to what their
vision is for a future IGS. That's your area, not mine.

The US National Science Foundation will approve funding to study dung
beetles, if the grant proposal catches their interest. As far as I know, it
doesn't even have to be a study of something in the US. In Africa, as in many
parts of the world, plant species are in danger of becoming extinct because
of habitat destruction by humans.  Development of a species collection in the
US, to back up other collections at National Botanical Gardens in South
Africa, for example,  might receive funding. Part of any proposal would have
to include equipment needed to process information (computer, scanner,
software, etc). This equipment could do double duty.

Conservation of the world's resources is also important to many philanthropic
organizations. Obviously you need someone to write grant proposals and to
function as the major researcher, and project coordinator.  I believe this
would have to be a scientist or college professor, who would also have to be
paid. It's not a full time job.  Of course, all that would be added to the
proposal. I don't think it would be difficult to talk a college professor (
in the vicinity of the plant collection) into getting involved in a project.
Of course, part of the deal would be that GATW gets an article out of it.

I really believe that if you develop a growth plan which includes some "Blue
Sky" ideas (not necessarily mine) and implement it, increased membership will
follow. Think big!

I'd like to continue, but can't concentrate. More later.