Re: Blue Sky Idea

  • Subject: Re: [IGSROBIN] Blue Sky Idea
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:41:50 EDT

Cynthia Lohry and all concerned -

For some reason I assumed (quite incorrectly) that all non-profit groups were
the same - that people in the US could write-off donations. You've certainly
taken the wind out of that sail! I appreciate the information. It just means
I'll have to shift gears - in fact, I already have.

How many people does the Mother's Day show attract? Is there an admission
charge? Does the club pay a rental fee for the building? Is the plant sale,
and the sale of subscriptions and back issues the only source of revenue at
the show. Pardon my ignorance (on these matters at least). As I've lived on
the East Coast for 30 years, I haven't been to a show in a while. I really
miss them .

Many years ago, I used to belong to a marine aquarium club in West Palm
Beach. They put on an annual show at the biggest mall in the area. In fact,
they were paid (by the mall) to put on the show, in hopes that they would
attract more shoppers. The club had a slight charge for every member that
wanted to enter the competition, for every category they entered. They also
had a commercial competition category. Commercial entrants were charged more.
 Many of the commercial entrants were club members. Commercial entrants were
allowed to hand out business card, but no sales were allowed, so they didn't
take any business away from mall retailers. As this was their chance to show
their stuff, there was a good rivalry between this group, and they spared no
expense. We were allowed to solicit memberships, but we didn't have excess
fish to sell, so that was never an issue. Don't know for sure, but I believe
the local orchid society was allowed to sell plants when they had their
annual shows in the same mall. That would make sense - they weren't in direct
competition w/anyone at the mall. It might be worth looking into.

Here's another idea. Abandon the site of the Mother's Day Show. Instead find
a park or small town willing to co-sponsor an annual outdoor festival. The
Atlanta suburb  of McDonough, Georgia held their 17th annual Geranium
Festival this past May. According to a published report ,it was held in the
town square and spilled over onto the surrounding streets. The festival
featured more than 360 artisans, food booths, exhibitions and live music. It
attracted a crowd of more than 30,000 people! No, they weren't all there for
the geraniums, hundreds of which were donated and planted by Oglevee.
However, the festival receives an incredible amount of free publicity, and
the city has capialized on that by adopting a red zonal geranium as it's
official logo. In a park you could charge for booth space and probably strike
a deal w/the park  to split the profits someway. If the area were well
planted w/ geraniums, which could be supplied to the park , it would help
increase plant sales and memberships. Park personnel would be responsible for
maintenance of these plants, and they would have to be supplied well in
advance . On a beautiful spring day, people would rather be outdoors!

I'm still thinking!
Ed