Blue Sky Idea - Final chapter

  • Subject: Blue Sky Idea - Final chapter
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:08:56 EDT

Hi everyone-

These "discussions"have served to emphasize the obvious - something has to
change. A rate increase, if one is adopted, is only a short term solution.
Postage rates and printing cost continue to increase, so whatever profits are
realized initially, by a rate increase,  will be short lived. As was pointed
out, increased membership in IGS is a way out of this problem.
How do you attract more interest without changing the package? You can't!
Something has to change. "Blue Sky" was an attempt to help push the IGS to
think differently. It's success of failure is up to the board.

Hopefully, indexing of GATW will become a reality. It sound like that idea
was already being worked on. In my opinion, a CD of all back issues is a
must. ($50.00 sounds reasonable). Other issues were raised, but the one idea
that I think can help increase interest and membership in the IGS is the
Geranium Festival. I find it interesting that no one addressed that idea. How
many people have been exposed to geraniums/pelargoniums in the landscape? I
don't mean common red zonals.  I mean Regals, scenteds, and fancy leaved
zonals. How many people realize the wonderful diversity found in pelargoniums
hybrids and species? How much better exposure could the IGS get than at an
annual outdoor event that draws thousands. Kids bring parents, and  parents
like gardens. The first time a child felt and smelled a plant like P.
tomentosum , the parent would be hooked. Getting them interested in a single
plant is only a step away from getting them interested in Discovering
Geraniums. A well planned outdoor festival could just get bigger every year.
The IGS would have excess funds to persue other projects.

It has been an interesting week. I think I've learned a little more about the
inner workings of the IGS. I've also had the opportunity to express my views,
and "hear" the views of others. . The one thing I think we all agree on, is
the  hope that IGS continues and prospers. I'd like to thank everyone who has
contributed to this discussion.

Sincerely-
Ed Olson-Moore
"Blue Sky has left the building!"