Blue Sky - Geranium Festival

  • Subject: Blue Sky - Geranium Festival
  • From: Sandy Connerley sandyc@SURFARI.NET
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:38:21 -0700

Ed,
    A Geranium Festival is a great idea, starting small.  Laurie's idea
of hooking onto another flower show is good.
    The only flower show that I am familiar with is the San Francisco
Flower and Garden Show.  Formerly this was a volunteer production that
got so big it had to be turned over to professional event creators.  In
the past, I think that would have worked.  Now it is so big you are worn
out before you see all of the vendors.  People have a tendency to bypass
quickly the various society booths as they don't want to miss anything
and figure they can find societies later (and probably forget).  Robin
Parer has a very nice sized booth and is very, very busy.
Unfortunately, there are not lots of pelargonium businesses left that
could perhaps rent adjoining spaces for impact.  The S.F. area is a real
potential market for pelargoniums of all types as they grow so well
there as they do in southern California.  I had a garden of regals as a
child.  So, if we could find someone to sell regals, someone for zonals,
ivies, and even maybe species if some were blooming at that time, it
would work.
    However, although I am not certain, I think the space is expensive.
In addition, that particular show is about 4 or 5 days long, into the
evening.  So, creating your own booth, shelves, getting the plants
there, having help manning the booth, etc. is a real undertaking.  It
would be great, but require some major money and work.  If instead of a
table off to the side, the society could have a small table in the area
with all the pelargoniums, it would be easier to acquire new members.
    I think this could be done in various parts of the US and would
really promote the plants.
Sandy