Blue Sky - Final Chapter

  • Subject: Blue Sky - Final Chapter
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:07:52 EDT

Hi Sandy and Laurie-
We have a festival in Orlando called "Fiesta in the Park". It is co-sponsored
by the city, a radio station, tv station, and restaurant. I thought it would
be fairly easy to determine who is having something like that in the L.A.
area, and become a co-sponsor. Or even an established spring outdoor art
festival would be great  to tie into - a Geranium and Art Festival. Spring is
a great time to do something outdoors like that. I wouldn't doubt that the
City of Los Angeles sponsors or co-sponsors  spring festivals. There's an
azalea festival in a small town near here that attracts a ton of people. The
fire department parks a fire truck  and lets kids take turns getting on it.
There are things to amuse and entertain kids and azaleas  for the adults,
food and art and craft booths, etc. It's a festival with azaleas as the main
plant sold. Some events in the area  are co-sponsored by a local easy
listening or jazz station, so they supply the music. I think a combined art
show and geranium festival on an annual basis could really grow fast. I'm not
too keen on the craftsy stuff , but I love a classy art, photography,
pottery, blown glass  type show -  different crowd. If the IGS ties into such
a show early enough, before the growth spurt, they could make sure that
geraniums are the main plant displayed and sold. My parents had regals in the
ground year round in L.A. A city park with regals supplied by the club and
maintained year-round by the park staff (w/technical help from IGS) would
provide a great atmosphere for an art and geranium show. It's a great trade,
IGS provides the garden material and walkway borders (all geraniums) and the
park allows them to put on an annual show free or at a reduced rate. I really
like the art show tie-in . No admission charge. Money comes in from plant
sales, subscriptions, poster and t - shirt sales, mug sales, etc. The first
year would probably only be plant and subscription sales. It could work!