Re: TPB, some more thoughts...

  • Subject: Re: TPB, some more thoughts...
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:20:51 EDT

The idea of resurrecting TPB was floated to determine what type of response
we would have, and possibly what direction we would take. Barry's recent post
certainly has been illuminating. It is true that "the original Pelargonium
Breeder was conceived mainly as a way for practicing breeders to
communicate". People seriously  involved in hybridizing need a central place
to discuss possible projects,to report field trials and experimental
results, etc.   Failed experiments can yield a wealth of information.
Unfortunately, while the idea of starting a breeding group had  received only
mediocre support (with less than 10 people showing interest), I'm afraid that
a TPB as envisioned by Barry would only have two members, myself included.
More on this later.

The idea of expanding a breeders group to include true geraniums and
erodiums, etc. was an  attempt to generate a wider appeal, and hopefully help
the group succeed. I have no burning interest in other members of the
geranium family, as I have not been exposed to them, except for the G.
carolineanum that grows as a weed in late fall thru early spring, in my area.
I do find it a curiosity tho,  and actually welcome it growing next to it's
more exotic cousins.

There are still two groups that would not be served by Barry's vision. The
person trying to acquire information about breeding, because he/she would
like to attempt it, and the average hobbyist ( the 'armchair" breeder) who
has gotten the bug and enjoys playing "mini-god', and hopes to "create" a
plant that has never before been seen. I think the majority of people fall
into this group. It does present problems, as in the introduction of similar
varieties mentioned by Barry.

Barry's idea of field trials before introduction is excellent. In fact his
whole posting is excellent. The average hobbyist will attempt one or two
crosses between two prospective parents, and give up because "it doesn't
work". I've got an article around here somewhere about attempts to cross
zonals and ivy geraniums. If I remember correctly, researchers attempted
sometimes hundreds of crosses to be rewarded by one seed.  Recently I
attempted to cross P. odoratissimum  w/P. sidoides 'Burgandy" (or is it
'Burgundy?). 50 attempted crosses yielded 7 seeds. I'd venture to say, not
many others in this group would go to such extremes. Ok, I'm a little crazy!

What I'm getting at is there is a very real need for all three groups to
develop and share information with like- minded individuals, a group for
people to learn; a group for the average ,  more experienced, hobbyist
breeder, etc.

Maybe the approach is all wrong. Maybe what we need is a forum open to
anyone, regardless of level of expertise. A forum where we don't have to
search and beg for people to write articles so we can fill a certain amount
of space. Maybe what we need is a yahoo-type group devoted exclusively to all
aspects of pelargonium breeding. It sure would save a lot of hassle, and it
would be free! Comments welcome.

Late for work again