Correction to :TPB, some more thoughts

  • Subject: Correction to :TPB, some more thoughts
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:49:33 EDT

I thought I had enough sleep last night, but ...

I performed many crosses betweem P. odoratissimum and P. sidoides 'Burgundy'.
 Apparently 'Burgundy' is itself a cross between P.sidoides and P.reniforme.
My plant will not self, and I experienced difficulties crossing it w/ P.
odoratissimum. I've documented many attempts using different techniques, and
have been rewarded w/some seeds.

 However, the hybridizing attempt where I performed 50 crosses to collect 7
seeds was a cross between P. odoratissimum (or as many would call it 'Apple')
with a zonal.  The seeds are nice and plump, unlike the many aborted seeds
usually resulting from this cross.Haven't planted these seeds yet. If they
are viable, I'm expecting difficulties with the seedlings. I'm not sure they
would survive without doubling the chromosome number. Ideas welcome.

Sorry for the error in my previous posting.