Re: Laurie's site

  • Subject: Re: Laurie's site
  • From: "Laurie AE O'Meara" Laurie@LAEOM.COM
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:55:55 -0400

Hi Sandy :)  At the beginning there was quite a bit to learn regarding the
term "html" which is the code that tells the software how to display what
you are writing or how to show photos.  I started from knowing almost
nothing- I had always used computers at work, but had never done web
designing or programming, although I originally started out when IBM was
about the only computer used and everything was done by writing code or
prompts.  When I started at Angelfire, the thing that took the longest was
just understanding and writing html and copy and paste, but like I said they
had numerous tutorials and page templates that really made it "easy" to get
a site up and running, and then as I had time I could choose what more I
wanted to learn.  My Frontpage software happened to be a gift from someone
and I was amazed at how it does "everything" for me- in the sense if I want
a photo to be in the center of the page, I can just click one button, with
Angelfire I would write two or three sentences of code to tell the software
where to put the photo.  Even though Frontpage is nice and a cushy thing to
have, if it hadn't been a gift, I would not have bought it myself, as it is
about $300.00.  I also truly appreciate the year I had the website at
Angelfire because I had to learn what I was doing, and of course now I have
that knowledge. At that time I didn't have Frontpage.  There are also many
other web designing programs, but I think they all run around 300.00.
Creating a website isn't really difficult, but initially learning html code
is time consuming.  What I would suggest to anyone on the list is to go to
Angelfire and sign up for a free site and fiddle around with their templates
and tutorials.  Here's a quick example of code:
That tells the software to end the previous bold type </b>, to end a
paragraph </p>, to start a new paragraph, center aligned <p align="center">,
and to end the paragraph </p>.  As an example, for a page that I would write
myself, with say, twenty photos of my artwork, it might take a whole day to
write it and get it perfect.  With Frontpage, it takes me about two hours,
max.  So the advantage to a web design program is really the time involved.
I think it might be an extensive subject for this list, and I am certainly
not an expert on creating sites, but I'd be happy to try to answer specific
questions if you run into problems.

Laurie