Re: Mass Hort

  • Subject: Re: Mass Hort
  • From: Claire Peplowski ECPep@AOL.COM
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:29:22 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/02 4:56:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Laurie@LAEOM.COM

> Hi Claire - I do have some of the flyers on info you mention - and don't
> know why I didn't see the "Society Row" 9-15-02 plant sale flyer in my
> folder - but the sheet doesn't really promote societies, even though the
> sale is called Society Row - it says "sold by the growers themselves" and
> the individual Societies aren't mentioned or promoted on this.  It does say
> it replaces the Society section of the Case Estates sale.>>>>>>>
> Laurie, this would be the first year the shows have been divided.
> Publicity might be spare due to a new enterprise.  The old Case Estates
> sale was always the 2nd or 3rd (don't remember which) Saturday in
> September.  It went on for years and was very well attended.  I really do
> not know the reason for the split.  This makes it a lot of belonging and
> dues paying to join Arnold Arboretum, Mass. Hort. Soc. and any special
> group you might also wish to join.  Some that were there in the past were
> Hosta, Rhododendron, Daylilies, etc.  I have not known a Geranium group in
> New England but that is not to say there never was one.

<<<<<The flyer on Elm
> Bank is to rent it for corporate functions, in addition to a description of
> their mission for Elm Bank in their  handbook. In other words, I didn't
> mention these things earlier because none of it seems to jump out and
> promote any specific plant society.  Thanks for mentioning these things- I
> guess instead of a corporate function, Elm Bank could be rented for a plant
> show, and I just hadn't thought of that.  I didn't hear back yet from the
> Manger of Gardens for the details on availability of display gardens.>>>>>

Elm Bank is also a trial garden for All America Selections so is open to the
public as far as I know.  Mass. Hort. is presently on a membership drive and
would like more members.  However, I do not think membership is required to
visit Elm Bank.    There is a magazine which will be of interest only to New
Englanders called People, Places & Plants.  This has a wealth of the
information you are looking for plus advertisments for everything in New
England.  Can be ordered from their website.  Mass. Hort news plus news of
every public venue in New England is found here - back issues are for sale on
the website.

I have not been a member of any of the groups for the last two or three
years, there is only so much one can keep up with or attend.  There is a
great deal more activity in New England now than any time in the recent past.
 Each state has a spring show and there are numerous events throughout the
growing season.  The best source of places and events is the Plants magazine
which is on newstands as well as by subscription.  For NewEngland or US
readers, this company is putting Roger Swain back on TV.  That is also on the
website.  I hoped only to offer some sources of information for shows if that
is what is wanted.  It would seem economical to join up with some already
established.  There are three sales each year at the Lyman Greenhouses, an
historic property also open to the public in Waltham.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4