Re: Southern California Hybridizers

  • Subject: Re: Southern California Hybridizers
  • From: Ed Olson Moore H20wrx@AOL.COM
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:19:09 EDT

Addition to initial post:

I'm not sure about Fred Bode's introductions, but I would suppose it's quite
possible that a quantity were wild pollinated. I'll ask my mom. Mr. Barba
worked for Mr. Bode, then went out on his own. Maybe he picked up that
technique along the way. I know I was a bit bothered when I heard about
Alfonso Barba's introductions. I guess I thought everyone worked as hard as
my father did, in his hybridizing attempts - but others were just more
successful at it. As I mentioned to Sandy Connerley recently, my dad was
really a minor hybridizer, in the sense that there really isn't much to show
for his efforts. He introduced two Regals, Brazil and Copper Canyon, which
are still in existance almost 30 years after his death. There is some
indication that the scented pelargonium 'Aroma' was also his - although until
I see it listed as such in a catalog of the time period, I'm not positive.
(If anyone has information on this, please contact me).That's three plants
and hundreds of culls.

I don't know about Francis Hartsook's introductions. I'm sure my dad
"learned" his hybridizing techniques from Ms. Hartsook and Mr. Bode.

I'm no longer bothered by anyone taking credit for wild pollinated plants. A
'found" plant is just as good as a hybridized plant. Luck is luck. Unless a
hybridizer takes precautions both before and after he pollinates a flower,
it's quite possible that the pollen used is not involved in the parentage of
any subsequent seeds or seedlings. The important thing is that others
received joy from the introduced plant.

Ed

Ed Olson-Moore
h20wrx@aol.com