Re: Erodium/Pelargonium

Pete Liekkio wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Diane Soares <dianes@gte.net>
>
> Hi Diane,
>
> We're almost neighbors.  I shop for greenhouse supplies often at Stuebers
> in Snohomish.
>
> > I confess to joining this list because I've been "collecting" geraniums
> > and wanted to learn more.  It started with the hardies, then a friend
> > gave me 'Black Vesuvius', then I bounght some scenteds, ect., and I
> > realized there were so many different colors, shapes, scents and
> > textures. Now I'm addicted <grin> and always making space for "just one
> > more".  I have hardies (over 40 varieties). Pelargoniums include 5
> > stellars, 3 minis/dwarfs, 10 or so scented.  Erodiums - 4 varieties the
> > newest is manescavi.
>
> Are the erodiums species?  Do any of them have succulent stems of roots.  I
> have only one,  E. pelargonifolium and it forms a caudex. It overwinters
> outdoors here in Seattle and flowers in Jan/Feb.
> Hi, Pete!  I have only varieties of E. chamaedryoides two pink, one white
and one very small (looks like a miniature) double pink.  They are all
labled as ground cover.  Though in my yard they grow much better in
troughs/containers so I can keep them on the drier side.  The larger
variety is more rhizomous than succulent.
> > Oh, I have an 8 x 16 foot greenhouse for overwintering and propagtion.  I
>
> > am interested in growing from seed but so far I've only collected the
> > seed from the hardies to see if anything interesting comes from it.
> > I just came back from a visit to your web site!!  What winter
> > temperatures are required by these caudiform/succulent varieties?  My gh
>
> My greenhouse is at 50 degrees for the winter and the winter growing
> species seem to do well at this temperature though I think they would like
> higher light conditions than our winter provides.  Still they grow well and
> flower well in the Dec - March time frame. Nice to have the winter early
> spring flowers.
> Wow!  It looks like I will be able to grow them in the greenhouse.  The
flowering time is perfect - that time of year when not much else is in
bloom.