Re: [IGS] butterfly leaf zonals

John & Pat Adney wrote:
> Greetings listees: I've just heard of "butterfly leaf" zonals. As one
> who enjoys growing some of the more unusual zonals, I'd like to learn
> more about the "butterfly leaf" pelargonium. Are they similar to the
> fancy-leaf zonals in appearance, blooming and culture?
> Your comments and suggested sources will be appreciated. Thanks.
> John G. Adney
> New IGS member in Marion, Iowa
> johnadney@email.msn.com

Hi John and Pat (plus 3 himalayans <VBG>)!
Yep, they are rather identical in growing. I have two - Happy Thought
(red single flowers) and Pink Happy Thought (rose single flowers) and
they have a bright green leaf with yellow "butterfly". If I remember
correctly they are a special kind of fancy leaf zonals but miss the
zone  (red pigments) but I am sure there are those out there that can
much better explain the scientific reasons for all this with pigments
etc.
Also there are several kinds of sizes in them tho I cannot recall any
buterfly leafed types that are real miniatures or dwarfs.
My "Happy Thoughts" can stand all (especially neglect in winter - my
fault <g>) and recover wonderfully to stay flowering in summer until I
feel it has been enough and I remove the stems to give them some leaves
at least to build up some reserves for the winter period. And since I
usually forget who was who (I only have one kind with butterfly leaves -
the pink is a sport of the red flowered) it is often a matter of waiting
for me when cuttings taken in fall will begin to flower next spring to
correctly put name tags in saying either HT or Pink HT....
--
Mimy Sluiter
e-mail: mailto:manx1@wxs.nl