Re: [IGS] butterfly leaf zonals

John & Pat Adney wrote:
> Greetings listees: I've just heard of "butterfly leaf" zonals. As one
> who enjoys growing some of the more unusual zonals, I'd like to learn
> more about the "butterfly leaf" pelargonium. Are they similar to the
> fancy-leaf zonals in appearance, blooming and culture?
> Your comments and suggested sources will be appreciated. Thanks.
> John G. Adney
> New IGS member in Marion, Iowa

Hi John and Pat (plus 3 himalayans <VBG>)!
Yep, they are rather identical in growing. I have two - Happy Thought
(red single flowers) and Pink Happy Thought (rose single flowers) and
they have a bright green leaf with yellow "butterfly". If I remember
correctly they are a special kind of fancy leaf zonals but miss the
zone  (red pigments) but I am sure there are those out there that can
much better explain the scientific reasons for all this with pigments
Also there are several kinds of sizes in them tho I cannot recall any
buterfly leafed types that are real miniatures or dwarfs.
My "Happy Thoughts" can stand all (especially neglect in winter - my
fault <g>) and recover wonderfully to stay flowering in summer until I
feel it has been enough and I remove the stems to give them some leaves
at least to build up some reserves for the winter period. And since I
usually forget who was who (I only have one kind with butterfly leaves -
the pink is a sport of the red flowered) it is often a matter of waiting
for me when cuttings taken in fall will begin to flower next spring to
correctly put name tags in saying either HT or Pink HT....
Mimy Sluiter
homepage: <>
phone & fax: +31-(0)35-6920501