Sony scientist 3D-prints gardens

Inside theft of world's rarest water lily

Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Teepee knot- The Buntline knot.

Square Foot Gardening List - http://myweb.flinet.com/~gallus/sqft.html

Francoise-  I appreciate your prompt response to the inquiry re knots. I do not know what to say about your teepee. I too had trouble tying together my teepee and eventually my neighbour Marty came over to hold the poles together while I tied a big knot around them. (That is partly why I have searched out books on tying knots at the library.) I have found a few knots that will do the gardener well without requireing a huge investment in time.

You would probably find a second pair of hands very helpful holding the poles next time until you discover a way of tying two poles together, then adding the other poles as you go around. As for a knot to hold the two (three would be better to start the teepee) beginning poles together I recommend the buntline knot. It is so strong and easy to tye- the buntline holds your New Jersey and Missouri battleships at dock and can still be untied easily. That is the secret to a good knot- it can easily be untied after heavy use. It is a sliding loop which tightens up the loop as you pull on it. Very handy. And again, easy to untie.

After a net search I found NetNkots, a web site to help us learn to ty knots. You can see and practise tying the buntline at:

I found it easy once I slowed down and followed the rope drawing  until the knot was tied. Then simply practise every day with a peice of rope. It will quickly be easy to do and amaze your friends too. lol!

I am looking into developing a web page dovoted to gardening knots. For now the above NetKnots might be helpful for you.

Hope this was helpful,
bill missen.