articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

Emerald ash borer may have predator

Tires to be made from dandelions

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Teepee knot- The Buntline knot.

Square Foot Gardening List - http://myweb.flinet.com/~gallus/sqft.html

Francoise-  I appreciate your prompt response to the inquiry re knots. I do not know what to say about your teepee. I too had trouble tying together my teepee and eventually my neighbour Marty came over to hold the poles together while I tied a big knot around them. (That is partly why I have searched out books on tying knots at the library.) I have found a few knots that will do the gardener well without requireing a huge investment in time.

You would probably find a second pair of hands very helpful holding the poles next time until you discover a way of tying two poles together, then adding the other poles as you go around. As for a knot to hold the two (three would be better to start the teepee) beginning poles together I recommend the buntline knot. It is so strong and easy to tye- the buntline holds your New Jersey and Missouri battleships at dock and can still be untied easily. That is the secret to a good knot- it can easily be untied after heavy use. It is a sliding loop which tightens up the loop as you pull on it. Very handy. And again, easy to untie.

After a net search I found NetNkots, a web site to help us learn to ty knots. You can see and practise tying the buntline at:

I found it easy once I slowed down and followed the rope drawing  until the knot was tied. Then simply practise every day with a peice of rope. It will quickly be easy to do and amaze your friends too. lol!

I am looking into developing a web page dovoted to gardening knots. For now the above NetKnots might be helpful for you.

Hope this was helpful,
bill missen.