ADMIN: Gibberish and Worms

Yes we have once again been infected by a worm. I am trying to track it
down, but it really does not matter. If you received the iris-photo mail
containing any one of the messages about Splash Dance and use Outlook
Express (and maybe other Microsoft programs), you are probably now
infected. Those of you that have updated your program with the patches
Microsoft supplies, do not have to worry this problem

Go to:

to see details and instructions on how to disinfect yourself (perhaps)

One of the notes indicates that you can easily reinfect yourself if all
the infected documents are not removed.

I think it is time for a lecture. I am not picking on anyone in
particular because if nothing else, there have been multiple occasions
of virus problems. It is incumbent on all of us, in an environment such
as iris-photos, to take prudent steps to protect ourselves and the other
subscribers on the list from being infected by viruses, trojan horses,
worms and the like. Unwitting accomplices we may be (I am assuming), but
that is no reason not do everything in our power to keep from passing on
an infection. We were lucky this time. This last problem is not a
destructive virus. However, the very nature of our list, that being,
sending attachments to a list, makes us very vulnerable.

I am now *considering* the following policy for iris-photos:

I expect everyone subscribing the list to protect themselves and the
other members of the list by having an active, up-to-date virus scanning program.

If iris-photos is infected by a message containing a virus, trojan
horse, worm or other similar form, the origin of which I can positively
identify, the individual originating that message to the list will be
banned from the list. There may be extenuating circumstances, and I may
not be able to trace every incident, but that will be the general policy.

What do you think? I would appreciate your comments on this
**PRIVATELY**. This is not a poll, but I welcome all comments. Please
respond to:

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:

President, Westbay Iris Society
Director, Region 14 of the AIS

Subscribe to iris-talk at:

Subscribe to iris-photos at:

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!