COMP:Scanning question

Hi iris fans,

I have a question for the anyone who is scanning their photos to send to
the list or for web pages.  Question is , what is a good DPI to scan
photos so that they'll look resonably sharp without taking up to much
memory .  When I scan at 75 DPI which is supposedly all one needs for
internet purposes , my photos look  unexceptably soft .  When I used 300
DPI this afternoon to scan a photo , the computer warned me that it was
running out of disc space.  I'm sure people would be irritated with me
if I sent a 5 mb attached photo to the list.  Maybe there is something
I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight.
Chris Darlington