Re: Getting the right colors in pictures

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Getting the right colors in pictures
  • From: irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:16:54 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Kenneth Walker <kenww@p...> wrote:
> Does the Nikon 950 have a manual white balance? If so,
> have you tried it. The one on my camera helps a lot under
> some lighting conditions.
>    Ken
> Tom Greaves wrote:
> > I think that the attached photo is of Eagle's Flight, but
> > the pictures I have shoe purple stndards and mine a re a
> > light lavender.  But in any case, the edge of the falls on
> > the flowers are purple.  However when I take the picture on
> > a Nikon 950 digital camera it comes out blue.  I've tried it
> > with and without flash and several other camera settings.
> > Anyone know how I can get the true color rendition?
> >
> > Tom in Dallas, TX zone 7

Something that I have used (also with a Nicon 950 coolpix) is to focus
on the midrange colours  for exposure, lock the exposure by pressing
shutter part way, reframing picture, then pressing the shutter all the
way down. This helps as the camera tries to compose everthing to a mid
range of colour which is a problem with flowers that are black or
white. You can also do an adjustment to set for  under or overexposing
(left hand button under screen and at the same time rotate the  nob
under the shutter button) which sometimes can corect colour. Other
then that its to the photo editing software to retouch colour.

Chuck Chapman