Re: Buying a Camera...Suggestions?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Buying a Camera...Suggestions?
  • From: "Patrick Orr" <PatrickJOrr@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:26:32 -0700

Hi Laetitia,
I found for my purposes of photographing the irises to be scanned into the computer through a USB port the Kodak DC215 Millennium 2000 camera to be the best deal for the dollar.  At the time (a little over a year ago) it was somewhere in the $435 range.  I chose the DC215 Millennium 2000 over just the DC215 because I wanted to be able to turn the flash OFF if I wanted to.  Now I believe you can pick up just the DC215 for about $285.  Go to Kodak.com to find out more about their models and retail pricing.  My camera came with both a serial and a usb port connection, an 8 MB memory card (holds 26 high resolution pics), and all the software needed, and 4 AA batteries.
Now however, I am looking around to find a camera that has a higher resolution.  But for posting to Iris Photos and having a digital record of my irises, it does a GREAT job.  The colors come out just about as true as they can be except lately.  Sometimes violet comes out bluish.  Kodak will fix it if I send it in to be serviced for about $135.  But most of the coloring I can correct in my picture editor.
This camera is about the easiest to learn and use of all the cameras I looked at.  The LED screen has icons on them that you can choose to do a variety of preferences, instead of having a button for each and every function.
Overall, I have been very pleased with it.
Patrick Orr
Phoenix, AZ
Zone 9   USA