RE: I. cristata

  • Subject: [iris-photos] RE: I. cristata
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:21:08 -0400

Cristy  in 1999 I had several plants that had half sized blooms that the
color was more intense and a lot darker. I marked them and last year the
blooms were larger and lighter in color. I think the size of the bloom can
cause color variation. What causes bloom size  to be different I don't know.
I have seen this in wild patches to.
I have seen this over the years and thought I had different colors. Remember
the ones I posted on this list that were different shaped?  Haven't seen
that since. I think it was weather related'
I am only about ten miles north of Dennis and my  I. cristata are just
sending leaves up, not even close to bloom.
They usualy bloom with the late SDB's. This year is weird I have TB stalks
up half way on one and an IB blooming.

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
SW Ohio Zone 5b USA