Re: Buying a Camera...Suggestions?

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Buying a Camera...Suggestions?
  • From: "Mike Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:52:02 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., lmmunro@h... wrote:
> You guys really take GREAT pictures! I have always taken ugly ones,
> but perhaps it is time to buy a new camera.
> This year I'm determined to get some GOOD pics of whatever has the
> smarts to grow and bloom in my garden.
> I am leaning toward a digital, and a USB port would be nice. I'd
also
> like to keep the price under 500.00, and it will be used primarily
> for photographing iris...but also a few folks here and there too.
> I'd like to try to get colors as true as possible, as well as
detail
> such as veining.
> It is VERY confusing when I go to a camera store..so please, send
me
> some suggestions.
> Thanks,
> Laetitia

Last year I bought a Olympus C-3000 3.34  Megapixel digital camera. I
think it is over kill for what most people need. I am not a pro.
A 2.1 megapixel is a good size to buy. I can take 3 pictures  Tiff's
2048 X 1536 res. on a 32 mb card thats a 10 mb file. It uses
Smartmedia cards that come in 8 - 128 mb size. Some cameras use
compactflash cards that come in cards up to 256 mb ( about $ 7000 for
that card)Mine has so many features it is hard to use. Look for a 2.1
that is easy to use. Check the warranty. On similar cameras Olympus
had one year. Sony had 90 days.

If you do get one don't carry in in a camera bag on the truck bumper
for 16 miles on a curvy mountain road. And if the guy behind you
keeps blowing the horn he might not be crazy. Luck was with me that
day.

Mike Greenfield
redear@infinet.com
SW Ohio Zone 5b USA