Re: Romantic Evening Offspring

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Romantic Evening Offspring
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:41:13 -0000

--- In iris-photos@y..., Randy Squires <randysiris@j...> wrote:
> This is the first to bloom from a cross of
> Romantic Evening X Zepherina
> I've gotten a nice range of bicolors, but
> to me they're laking in form.
> I want the Keppel pleat and the Ghio bubble.

How was the width in the seedlings over all?  The pedigree of
Zepherina looks like a potpourri of genetic potential.  Have you
sibbed any of these?

First color showing on a Great Gatsby x Romantic Evening seedling--
the only one of the cross to bloom, thanks to excessive shade and
early frosts.  Gatsby is a stellar performer here, with lots of good
qualities to pass on judging from its pedigree.

I suspect flower size and haft width is to be watched in RE
offspring.  The new *Tall Talk* articles by Blyth and Ghio both
discuss quite frankly the problems in the lines leading up to RE.  We
may all wade through a lot of potential compost to gain progress over
Starring, Wild Wings, Firey Temper, Ocelot and the like.  The "big
boys" have a bit of a head start here.

I like the color tone of your RE x Zepherina.  RE pod!  That's
interesting to see.

I share your interest in the Ghio/Keppel form factors.....

Neil Mogensen

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ppl8ZC/TFaCAA/qvCFAA/GjZVlB/TM