Re: HYB: baby seedlings etc

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: baby seedlings etc
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:10:08 -0500

<Looks like you're going to have quite a few babies to play with.  I
hope they survive your freezes, some of the other plants in other
photos don't look so good.>

It's all relative - the plants killed to the ground won't recover, & the
ones with quite a bit of damage will probably succumb eventually to
repeated episodes of damage.  But most look like they will go on and do
reasonably well.  I have been out weeding & looking at how things are
doing - 9 of 11 seedlings from the most prolific germinating cross last
year are trucking along, most with several increases.  Leaf spot/soft
rot in leaves always looks a lot worse after one of these bad freezes.
Most plants will shrug it off - if not, it will leave more space for the
tough ones.  Wish I had taken photos before the freezes - they all
looked so healthy.  Sigh.

<Also the flood water photo, I bet those weeds are going to love that

We got another 4 inches the last couple of days.  No flooding this time,
thank goodness.  The flooded irises are out in the horse pasture - Doc,
the horse, will keep the weeds trimmed.

<Thanks for sending pictures, it looks a little rustic in the reemay bed
cover area with that old barn or building.  Randy in sunny California>

Rustic is a very kind thing to call my decrepit old barn <g>.  A tree on
one side is keeping it from collapsing in a heap.

I will try to remember to take a photo from the same position while the
survivors are in bloom.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.