[PHOTO] Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: seedlings | Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:40:45" />

[PHOTO] Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: seedlings

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: seedlings
  • From: "Mike Sutton" <suttons@lightspeed.net>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 07:37:54 -0800

Here is a picture of the seedlings in peat pots.  These pots don't swell too
much and are pretty tough.  When ready we hand plant them in rows.  The pots
separate pretty easily but hold their form.  There is a thin plastic tray
under a sheet so the pots are held together until they are taken apart in
the field.  We used to use a one gallon container with all the seeds from
one cross placed in it.  We noticed that during transplanting, even with the
use of vitamin B, there was a percentage of deaths.  That problem has been
completely eliminated with the peat pots.  Works good for us and we usually
line out  35,000+ seedlings a year.
Mike