Re: camera advice

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: camera advice
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:39:07 -0000

> > This is the blind leading the blind, but with my cheapo digital
> > to keep it from overexposing light colored irises, I put a sheet
> > white poster board (leaning it against an upside down plastic
trash can)
> > as a backdrop.  That way the dumber than me camera can tell that
> > yellow isn't as white as the backdrop & it seems to figure out
what to
> > do about it.  I haven't a clue how it knows, but it seems to work.
> >
> > Linda Mann

The camera is metering off general background, which it tries to make
a neutral grey ( refered to as a 17% grey). There are several
solutions, the white background can work in some situations.
1) Find out from your manuel how to change the metering to center
weighted metering. This will let it set exposure according to what is
in the center of the lens.
2) Set exposure using a neutral colour. This can be done by pointing
the camera at a neutral grey card, back of your hand (works for me),
a cut out picture, or other neutral shaded object at the same
distance from the lens. Wth most cameras if you half push the shutter
the camera will lock in the exposure, then you point the camera back
at your subject and "click"
3) A lot of cameras have an exposure adjustment. Check your manuel
and then set the exposure for about -1 setting. This will make your
photo darker , but the flower will be correctly exposed. It may need
more or less then -1, you'll have to experiment.
4) White balance is a setting available on some digital cameras. Try
your menu button and see if anything seem similar.

Check camera manuel for further help. There are a lot of adjustments
that can be made. I just about have all the buttons and adjustments
figured out for my camera.

Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Reticulata in bloom about a
week ago, still here.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.