Re: In need of D-Camera advice

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] In need of D-Camera advice
  • From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:27:22 -0700

It sounds like you may be having the same problem I did when I
first start using a digital camera. By default it was sent to "auto
white-ballance". This would typically turn my yellow flowers
into near white flowers.

In this mode, the camera tries to figure out what kind of lighting
you have: sun, shady, cloudy, incandescent lights, flourenscent
lights. Technical descriptions talk about "color temperature".
My camera was looking for something really light in the image
and assumed it was white and reflected the color of the light
falling on the scene. People using film cameras either change
the type of film or use some kind of filter to adjust the image
to fit the light, but a digital camera does it all internally. Putting
something that is really white in the scene helps the camera
figure out the real color of the light. Most digial cameras
also let you select between several kinds of lighting. If
there is sun on your flowers the sun white ballance setting
should work fine. Some cameras let you adjust the
white ballance by showing it something white before
actually taking the pictures.

As other people have pointed out, the correct exposure
is also important to avoid "blowing  out the highlights".

Ken Walker

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.