[PHOTO] Companion plants | Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:22:49" />

[PHOTO] Companion plants

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Companion plants
  • From: craigiris@ipns.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:18:45 -0700

Sometime back there was a discussion in regards to companion plants at
iris bloom time.  Our SDB's have just begun to bloom (late this year,
but so is everything else) :-). If it hadn't been for the large gardens
of Keith Keppel, Paul Black and Keith McNames (all from the Salem area)
our early show would have been dismal. However, due to these wonderful
friends, we had a great early show. I only saw two IB's and 3 Aril's,
the rest were MDB's and SDB's.  We had iris friends from as far away as
Battleground, Washington to Roseberg, Oregon bring in iris. Our show was
held at the Rhododendron Crystal Gardens in conjunction with the 'Rhody'
show.  it is a beautiful area with a stream and large ponds, wondering
paths and looks out over a beautiful golf course. The horticulture
building had an arched roof of nearly clear plastic or fiberglass (i
think) which allowed one to view the iris under daylight conditions, not
artificial lights.

Attached is a photo of one of our iris beds. The only one that has
companion plants close by. The little coral iris in the front is Chuck
Chapman's MDB CORAL CARPET. It is surrounded by pansies and primroses.
We also have candytuft, saxifrage, scilla, spirea, and forget-me-nots
blooming at this time. Our apple trees are in full bloom and the early
lilacs are just opening. We still have a few tulips blooming.

We held our show a week earlier than normal as so many of our iris
members attend the National's.

I hope you all have a great time at the AIS convention, Jim will be
there as he is President of the Median Iris Society. This year I remain
at home to help select our newest seedlings and oversee our garden.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.