Re: Yesterday's blooms

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Yesterday's blooms
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 04:38:35 +1000

Hi
Thornbird does occasionally produce pollen and is somewhat pod fertile.
What you will find is the some cv always produce pollen, some sometimes do
and a few never do. Pod fertility can vary with the weather etc also. In
spring when it was very cold and windy I couldn't set a pod on Holy Fire.
By mid summer (very mild) almost everything I put on it took. Hot dry
weather makes pod set difficult also.
I've never managed to sort out the factors affecting pollen production. I do
know that with some cv the pollen is ripe when the flower opens, with others
eg Momentous Occassion the pollen anthers don't open till about a day and a
half after the flower opens.
Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia