Re: re:

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] re:
  • From: "Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:43:30 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pearl Doyle" <doyle@our-town.com>

>Christy in another post from Chuck Chapman, he also called them i. setosa.
>or maybe i. setosa canadensis.

Hi Pearl,

I raise both setosa var. interior (Alaskan) and setosa canadensis. The
Alaskan setosas vary quite a bit but I've never seen any setosa with
standards.

Versicolors may do better in your climate than setosas, too. Versicolors are
a natural hybrid of setosa and virginica and come in a wide range of sizes
and colors. While most versicolors show very dark lines through the signals
some look quite a bit like Siberians.

I have a few photos of versicolor and setosa posted on my iris pages at
http://www.povn.com/rock/iris3.html  and
http://www.povn.com/rock/iris4.html and Rodney Barton has a site devoted to
species irises at http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html.

By "lax", I meant that compared to average Siberians, the average
versicolors' leaves tend to arch a bit more.

Christy
Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA