[PHOTO] Re:Woodlands bloom Field | Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:29:55" />

[PHOTO] Re:Woodlands bloom Field

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Re:Woodlands bloom Field
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:29:04 EDT

Lorraine posted a bloom report about 45,000 iris in bloom so we went to see them. The picture is of part of the field where they grow their stock as I certainly wasn't about to count them!

Gordon and Lorraine hosted the spring regional meeting last year which means a lot of extra spit and polish,getting guest iris in,growing guest iris and then getting them back to their owners. Last year payed off this year because the specimens in the display gardens were at their best. Three years of hauling in many big truck loads of "farm" compost and a lot of hard work have really changed the hard clay soil.

The " I got to have that " for me this year was not an iris but a ditch. Nicely formed trenches with pond liners held water for the buckets of LA's. They looked very happy with their feet in shallow water and their heads in California sunshine.

Michael
Stockton Ca

JPEG image