Re: Unusual rhizome

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Unusual rhizome
  • From: dferguson@cabq.gov
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:19:06 -0700

Sometimes bearded Iris tubers grow this way when they are planted too
deeply and are trying to get to the surface too.

Some species normally grow "necks" or "stolons", but I don't have enough
experience with dwarf cultivars to know if this is normal.  My little
collection of dwarves don't do this, but their rhizomes sit on the surface
and bake in the NM sun; so, they may grow differently here than in a
moister climate.  Here they grow little short sections that are all crammed
together, and don't remember seeing any necks.

(by the way, it is very difficult not to write "dwarfs", but I'm getting
better)

Dave

FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/i5gGAA/2gGylB/TM