Re: Iris germination

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris germination
  • From: Darm CROOK crook1945@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

  Hello Everyone :
  I`m new to the group , just joined yesterday . I`m
needing some information on Irises and thought this
Iris group would be the best place to get it .
  My name is Darm Crook , I live in Hay River NWT.
Canada , zone 1 maybe 1.5 .
  I`m a retired carpenter and have grown and hybrid
lilies , annuals and perennials for some years now . I
have only grown a few Irises , ones you could easily
obtain through a mail order catalogue .
  This winter I obtained some Iris seed [probably
another headache] for the following ; I. Siberica ; I.
Yellow Flag; and I. Graminea . These new aquisitions
make me ask the following questions as I know nothing
about Iris germination patterns .
  [1] Are Irises epigeal or hypogeal germinaters ?
  [2] If they are hypogeal are they immediate or
delayed ?
  [3] If they are epigeal are they immediate or rapid
?
  [4] Do Irises need a stratification period ,if so
what are the recommended temperatures and length of
each stage in this process , and what are the various
stages [warm,cold,warm]?
  [5] Does the Iris seed need light to germinate or do
you bury it ?
  [6] How much tuber growth in a seedling is a
reasonable  expectation in 4 months growing time , and
how many years from germination to flowering in a 4
month growing season ?
   That`s about it for now , I`m sure the answers will
raise more questions . I thank you for your
consideration of my questions and look forward to the
answers .

=====
Darm @ Zone 1 maybe 1.5
Hay River N.T.
Canada

http://tax.yahoo.com

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/2gGylB/TM