Re: Iris germination

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris germination
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:00:17 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, Darm CROOK <crook1945@y...> wrote:
>   Hello Everyone :
>   I`m new to the group , just joined yesterday . I`m
> needing some information on Irises and thought this
> Iris group would be the best place to get it .
>   My name is Darm Crook , I live in Hay River NWT.
> Canada , zone 1 maybe 1.5 .
>   I`m a retired carpenter and have grown and hybrid
> lilies , annuals and perennials for some years now . I
> have only grown a few Irises , ones you could easily
> obtain through a mail order catalogue .
>   This winter I obtained some Iris seed [probably
> another headache] for the following ; I. Siberica ; I.
> Yellow Flag; and I. Graminea . These new aquisitions
> make me ask the following questions as I know nothing
> about Iris germination patterns .
>   [1] Are Irises epigeal or hypogeal germinaters ?
>   [2] If they are hypogeal are they immediate or
> delayed ?
>   [3] If they are epigeal are they immediate or rapid
> ?
>   [4] Do Irises need a stratification period ,if so
> what are the recommended temperatures and length of
> each stage in this process , and what are the various
> stages [warm,cold,warm]?
>   [5] Does the Iris seed need light to germinate or do
> you bury it ?
>   [6] How much tuber growth in a seedling is a
> reasonable  expectation in 4 months growing time , and
> how many years from germination to flowering in a 4
> month growing season ?
>    That`s about it for now , I`m sure the answers will
> raise more questions . I thank you for your
> consideration of my questions and look forward to the
> answers .
> =====
> Darm @ Zone 1 maybe 1.5
> Hay River N.T.
> Canada
 Iris pseudacorous (yellow flag) and Iris siberica should grow well
for you but Iris graminea may not survive outdoors in your climate.
All of these seeds should be planted and treated much the same way as
for TB iris. A search  of archives of any of the iris groups should
give you the information you need. Plants seeds with about 1/2" of
soil over them. They need about 3-4 months of cold weather to
germinate. Soaking seeds first for 24 hours is a good idea. Mother
nature knows best so often the best bet is to plant them in the fall
in the ground. Other wise in flats in an unheated garage on a beer
fridge will work well.

Try Iris setosa. You may fing some growing wild near you.

Good snow cover often makes up for colder weather so a lot of iris
plants will survive winter for you. The hardest part is do they
survive spring. A late hard freeze will kill plants that have started
spring growth. My brother in Terrace Bay Ontario (about zone 1.5) can
grow siberia iris with no problem but late spring frosts have killed
bearded iris.

Chuck Chapman, Guelph Ontario zone 4(native to Thunder Bay Ontario,
zone 2-3)

Save Smiley. Help put Messenger back in the office.