Re: Re: Iris germination

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Iris germination
  • From: "Hensler" hensler@povn.net
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:13:28 -0700

Hi Darm,

Welcome to the group.

All of these iris species benefit from a soaking (at least a week with
frequent changes of water to remove any germination inhibitor.) followed by
at least 4 weeks of stratification. Since we're usually a zone 4, all of our
seedlings are started indoors in flats with the exception of the beardeds to
give them a jump on the season. We use a good, light weight potting medium
and plant the seeds about 1/4" deep. It's never a good idea to leave iris
seeds on the surface since they can dry out quickly.

Depending on the aggressiveness of the individual seedling, bloom can be as
early as 1 year from germination though the average (on all) is more like
2-3 years. Amount of increase also depends on the individual. Worst increase
we've seen was one new fan each year; best was in excess of 75 fans at 3
years.

Good luck,
Christy

Skip & Christy Hensler