RE: SPEC: Unknown Orange beardless

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] SPEC: Unknown Orange beardless
  • From: Mickey Corley mcorley@compuserve.com
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:54:10 -0400

Thank all of you who have helped me identify the Louisiana Iris I.fulva.  I
especially want to thank Harold for the website address.  I really enjoyed
the botanical lessons I found there.  I was excited to learn this was a
very old native American iris.  Since most of my bearded iris are historic
iris, it fits perfectly with them.

Mickey Corley

Message text written by INTERNET:iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
>The discussion of what a "species" is is confusing even to those botanists
that make those distinctions for a living. Simply and without necessary
agreement with the semantics of others, I use the term "type" to separate
the various types of iris. i.e. TBs, Siberians, Louisianas. Within most of
the types are "species" which are distinct native populations. Most irises
in commerce are interspecies hybrids.

Yes, there is a web site by the Society for Louisiana Irises

"The Gardener's Iris Book" by William Shear is a very good book about the
whole topic of irises. Until you are experienced, that is the only general
iris book that I recommend. AIS sells the book at a very reasonable price.
AIS web site is www.iris.org

Hope this helps.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden