Re: TB: First garden visitor this spring

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: First garden visitor this spring
  • From: oneofcultivars@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:11:18 EDT

They be interesting creatures for sure. The defense mechanisms of the
harmless ones have been the most fascinating to observe (and some easier
too)! The Speckled King snake and some others have a programed response when
they become alarmed. They rapidly vibrate their tails the same way a
rattlesnake does. In dry leaves or under brush it sounds enough like a
rattlesnake to make you wish you had not bent over so far for a closer look.
The back flip you do is less than elegant.
Too, I've seen one variety of hog nose snake play dead. Expanding the skin
behind it's head and showing red between the scales, roll over on it's back
and play dead. Sounds like a tale but ain't.

Heard some rattlesnake hides were selling for over $200 a foot. Now that may
be a lie. Even if it isn't, that business don't have much appeal for me.
Jumpin' is pretty hard even when you don't have too. My wife jumps even when
they load on the computer screen. Said don't plant any of my flowers next to
the water garden!

Smiles,
Bill Burleson
Osis