Re: What do you think?

I think its perfectly fine to post other opinions, and they don't have
to be from a hybridizer or a judge or anything. If any of my Cro-Magnon
seedlings looked good enough to want to post for some feedback, I would
want it all!

The posts that say simple stuff like "I like it" can give you a feel for
if it might sell well even if they don't wax poetic or ramble on (like
me!). So its still useful input. If I posted a seedling pic and everyone
was silent, I would assume that it was a don't like it or neutral
response, and in that case it would be nice to hear from anyone that
could pick out things they specifically didn't like, offline is fine if
they are shy too.

My excuse for rambling on is that I tend to try to evaluate them much as
I would when judging seedlings at a show or in a garden, even though its
just the photo and description of its growth habits. I am looking for an
iris that is an improvement or distinctive as well as evaluating the
attributes that make for a good iris, regardless of whether I personally
would buy it for my garden or not.

And I'll admit to being pretty demanding too. If I had a seedling that
was really spectacular, if it was indistinguishable from an existing
one, ***with no improved growth habits***, I would NOT introduce it.
This is not the same as saying "just another good blue". Think of having
6 massive clumps of the good seedling and 6 of the existing iris over a
period of years and a bunch of experienced irisarians evaluating them
and not being able to tell which clump was which, ever. What would be
the point of introducing the seedling?

So, in my long-winded way, I would thank you for posting!

Pat Mitchell wrote:
> Mike - sorry to be the lone dissenter, but I don't like it.
> But please keep in mind that I'm NOT a hybridizer, not a grower, not
> an expert of any sort.  I'm just a gal who would pass on that
> particular iris.
> No offense intended - honest!

           Phone: 609-518-3700 x4444          Fax: 609-518-3720

   cathy@gixxergirl.org           http://www.gixxergirl.org/