[PHOTO] TB: Pink Formal & child | Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:46:35" />

[PHOTO] TB: Pink Formal & child

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Pink Formal & child
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:45:29 -0400

For those who wonder about how many generations it might take to
'upgrade' old irises, here's a comparison of PINK FORMAL (40s iris) and
one of its bee seedlings.  The seedling first opened on Monday and is
still not quite ready to fold, in spite of a lot of wind this week.  PF
just opened today and will expand more, but it's raining, so I wanted to
get a picture before it got too beat up.

I measured petal widths & lengths - I was surprised to find that the
flowers are almost the same height, because the seedling looks huge in
comparison.  The petal widths (both standards and falls) is half again
as wide as PF.  That may change a little as the flower expands.

Just think what might be done with an intentional cross, instead of a
random critter visit!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8